The TRIGA Mark II reactor in Vienna is the central facility of the Atominstitut (ATI) of TU Wien (Technische Universität Wien).
The educational opportunities offered at the Atominstitut cover all areas of research and are fully integrated into the curriculum of the Faculty of Physics.
The TRIGA Mark II research reactor and the connected teaching and research infrastructure, allow to educate and work with radioactive materials and ionizing radiation. An important contribution thereby is the training of international experts for the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
The TRIGA (Training, Research, Isotope Production, General Atomic) Mark-II reactor was installed in Vienna by General Atomic (San Diego, California, USA) and went into operation for the first time on March 7, 1962. The reactor maximum power is 250 kW (thermal) in steady state condition and 250 MW in pulse operation. Operation of the reactor since that time has averaged 220 days per year, without any long outages. The maximum neutron flux density available in steady state operation in the reactor core is 1013 cm-2 s-1.
In accordance with its purpose as a research reactor, the TRIGA Mark II is equipped with a number of irradiation devices:
- 5 reflector irradiation tubes
- 1 central irradiation tube
- 1 pneumatic transfer system (transfer time 3 s)
- 1 fast pneumatic transfer system (transfer time 20 ms)
- 4 neutron beam holes
- 1 thermal column
- 1 neutron radiography facility